2013 Developer Challenge
List of Participants
Nearly 20 developers participated in the 2013 developer challenge by submitting projects that demonstrated technical innovations for family history. From these, a panel of judges selected six finalists. The final 3 winners will be announced at RootsTech during the Keynote on Friday, March 22.
|Designation||Project Name||Submitted By|
|Finalist||BrowseHero||Tom Auga & Chris Giesey|
(MS Windows App Store)
|Finalist||Hope Chest||Eric Vance|
|Finalist||ResearchTies||Jill N. Crandell|
|Automatic Life Sketch Videos on the Historic Journals Site||Douglas Kennard|
|Family-oriented genealogy web portal||Anna van Raaphorst|
|File Grove||Shonda Schallenberger|
|GEDCOM Analyzer||Ray Smith|
|People Finder Chrome Extension||Robert Gardner|
|The All Israel Database||Brooke Schreier Ganz|
If you’ve been thinking, "there should be an app for that," now is your chance. Solving that problem could earn you $2,500, a laptop, and the admiration of millions.
RootsTech will reward developers who introduce the most innovative new concepts to family history with cash rewards and increased visibility.
Tens of millions of people around the world are interested in family history. These people need software solutions—whether on the desktop, online, or through mobile delivery—that help them engage and succeed in their efforts to discover, preserve, and share their family history.
Create an application or service that introduces a compelling new concept or innovation for family history.
Here is a sampling of the types of projects you might choose to tackle:
- Digitally preserve and share genealogy information that has not previously been captured
- Visualize genealogy data based on relationships, geography, or timelines
- Help new family historians start their research and stay organized as part of the process
- Uniquely identify or disambiguate multiple ancestors who appear to be the same person
- Dynamically generate collaborative ancestor pages with multiple feeds or sources of information
Rules, Prizes and Deadlines