Three Things You Can’t Miss in the Exhibition Hall
RootsTech’s Exhibition Hall has been called the heartbeat of RootsTech. In the Exhibition Hall you can meet vendors, sponsors, exhibitors, and societies from all over the world. These are some of the best at the forefront of the industry in genealogy and technology. If you have questions about records, societies, or DNA, this is the place to get some one-on-one time with the people of these leading companies.
RootsTech London would not be the same without our amazing vendors. While we have many incredible vendors, we thought we’d take a moment to highlight three you will want to be sure you don’t miss this October!
The Ministry of Defence
The Ministry of Defence (MOD) is responsible for protecting the security, independence and interests of the United Kingdom at home and abroad. Not many would associate it with genealogy, but….
The MOD Medals and Records Offices, part of DBS, is attending RootsTech to promote the existence of military service personnel records. Our stand will be staffed by members of the DBS Records Offices, the Air Historical Branch, the Army and RAF Disclosure branches and Restore plc. It will feature a graphics display depicting the stories of former service personnel and demonstrate how you can use the service record to open up other avenues of research. Personnel’s stories will be enhanced by artefacts (kindly donated by the family).
At RootsTech the MoD will offer the following:
- A live post 1921 service record search facility. The MoD continues to hold all service records where the individual had a discharge date of post 1921, these total around 10 million records, with about 500,000 having seen service in World War 1
- Service Record application facility. For the first time, and exclusive to RootsTech, where the service record search has confirmed that the MoD holds a service record, the MoD plans to offer a service whereby an order can be placed for that record with the record being available for collection three hours later. Payment of £30 will be taken when the order is placed. Customers who wish to use this service should note:
- the service is available only for Army and RAF service records confirmed as held by the MoD using the service record search facility
- for service records where the subject individual is less than 116 years from date of birth, a death certificate will be required. For those killed in action, reference to the CWGC database will be accepted.
- WW2 RAF Casualty pack search facility. Using this facility will enable identification of the pack, and direction provided on how you can gain access to the casualty pack
- Interpretation of service records. If you are struggling to understand what the record says or need help with interpretation then DBS experts will be on hand to assist you
- Veterans Badge. DBS Medals Office will process applications for, and issue, Veterans Badges for former regular and volunteer/regular reserve UK Armed Forces personnel on the day.
You may wish to explore the following link to find out more about the service records that the MOD holds:
Please follow the link below to find our social media presence:
Society of Genealogists
Founded in 1911 the Society of Genealogists (SoG) is the UK’s National Family History Centre and an Affiliate Family Search Library. Over the years it has amassed a truly magnificent genealogical library and archive in Clerkenwell (Barbican Tube Station) with more and more of its remarkable collections and resources being made available online for members. As well as local sources relating to where our ancestors lived and what they did in their lives, the Society collects genealogical research notes, pedigrees, and family histories. Additionally, the Society’s extensive education and distance learning programs support and encourage genealogists to improve their research skills and understanding of family history. Further information about searches, joining the Society of Genealogists, and visiting the library can be found on their website.
Come and meet our British genealogy experts for free advice at the Society’s Rootstech stand and find out about our library, courses, events, and publications. To celebrate RootsTech, from Oct 21 to Nov 4, 2019, the SoG is offering a 50% discount on full or associate membership when you join online using the code RT19.
Also see the special talks and events for RootsTech visitors at the Society.
Check out the Society of Genealogists Facebook Page.
Follow Else Churchill, Genealogist at the Society of Genealogists. on Twitter @SoGGenealogist.
Find the Society of Genealogists on Pinterest.
Have you taken the plunge with your DNA and now have a few questions about your DNA results? We’ve got answers from some of the top genetic genealogists in the world! In the DNA Basics area, you can take a closer look at DNA and discover what’s possible—or what might be possible in the future —thanks to DNA advancements. We’ll help you understand the difference between Paternal Line Testing, Autosomal DNA Testing, and more! You can learn more here.